Friday, 10 January 2014

Eureka!

Happy New Year to everyone!

This is a post which was to be on the blog last year, but the best laid plans...

I have been really busy for the last few months: I moved house, and I've since been trying to pour the proverbial quart into a pint pot.

Many trips to charity shops, the recycling centre and the local ‘dump’ later, I’m still wondering where I’ll put things. Of course, the biggest problem is – yes, you guessed it – books. We all know the agony of the decision-making: keep or charity shop?

Of course, there are so many arguments for parting with our books: sharing the pleasure of reading them with others who can’t afford to buy them, protection of the environment, the ready availability of e-versions of our favourites...

And yet, the desire to keep them, even to add to their number, is so strong, it usually wins out in the end. I visited friends recently who have over 4,000 (thousand) books. They’ve decided they never can move house because it would be impossible to find a home to accommodate the number of bookcases required.


I have, however, found a solution. A joiner is coming to see me next week to discuss the construction of some more bookshelves!  

4 comments:

  1. I completely identify with your post, Joan - every time I try to get rid of more books I make no decision at all about which can go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at how much you've managed to do,Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, I cleared out lots of books last year but have since managed to replace them with even more, so once again my bookshelves are overflowing. Have to love them though! Hope you're settling in well to your new home x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, Rosemary, Myra and Vikki. It's good to know your friends share your experiences (problems?). Thanks also for your encouragement in my new home. Progress is slow, but in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete