In writing circles, much has been said and written
about the advantages and disadvantages of the format in which we publish our
books: print or e-book? Or both? That is
one of the decisions writers have to make - albeit an important one -
in the world of publishing today.
We are frequently reminded that if we want to write,
we have to read. Given the choice, do we read a novel on our e-reader or
as a print book? Every individual will decide on the basis of personal preference
at the time. Again, the relevant factors have been widely discussed, for
example: price and convenience on one hand; absence of page numbers and lack of
a tactile relationship with a book on the other.
To date, I have seen no discussion on the effect,
both short- and long-term, that each of the two different forms of reading has
on the reader, especially the reader as a writer. Questions we might ask
about reading an e-book version of a novel are:
- Does the reader engage as closely with the characters?
- How well does the reader remember the plot or the characters?
- Is the setting of the novel more or less vivid?
- Does the absence of colour illustrations on the cover (in some e-readers) reduce the import of the experience?
- Is the reading pleasure reduced or enhanced in using the e-book version?
Of course, different questions would be asked about
other genres or about non-fiction books.
If our reading is a necessary feed to our writing,
it would be interesting to know if one format rather than the other would have
the optimum effect on our writing. To date, I haven’t come across any
discussions on this. Perhaps students on a creative writing course could be encouraged
to do some research on the topic?
Interesting question, Joan! I like both reading experiences, but I do prefer the ability to turn back pages to check something with print books.
ReplyDeleteInteresting points there, Joan. I do still love a print book (and bought one recently that had such a beautiful cover that I was glad I got it in print!) I think with most of the questions I'd say I get lost in the book regardless of whether I'm reading it on my kindle or not. It's the words which transport me and a pretty cover and pages to feel are just added bonuses!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments, Rosemary and Vikki. I agree with your point about turning back pages, Rosemary. Like you, Vikki, I still love a print book - especially if the cover is textured. But the pleasure is in the reading no matter where it comes from and I wouldn't be without my Kindle.
ReplyDeleteAnd I wonder what the next reading mode will be? We live in such an interesting time for writers and readers.
ReplyDeleteYes, Myra, it's hard to keep pace with it all, but worth the effort!
ReplyDeleteGET YOUR BLANK CARD FOR FINANCIAL BREAKTHROUGH (blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com ) or WATSAPP: +1 (620) 307-3174.
ReplyDeleteWHEN I GOT MY BLANK ATM CARD FROM CJ BLANK CARD (blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com)EVERYTHING CHANGED FOR ME!!!
Hello Guys, My Life will never remain the same!!! I’m so happy I got mine from Robert Hernandez. My blank ATM card can withdraw €3000 weekly. I got it from them last week and now I have up to €15,000. The ATM card withdraws money from any automated teller machines worldwide. There’s no name on it, it’s also untraceable. I was directly linked to this organization on the dark web and I’m really happy i got lucky enough to meet them because I’m a 99.9% skeptical when it comes to things like this, but it turns out they work as underground launderers in turkey, mostly ziraat bank and have a 100% policy against scams. The card can be sent to you through DHL in two days if you contact them early via e-mail:blankatmhacker007@yahoo.com or watsapp: +1 (620) 307-3174. or kindly find more on their website Get yours now. I mean right now if you know you’re struggling financially and thank me for eternity. Bye for now. +1 (620) 307-3174.