Thursday, 16 January 2014

Superstitious? Moi?

I wouldn’t say I’m particularly superstitious – I don’t really believe that bad (or is it good?) things come in threes, or that I should throw a pinch of salt over my left shoulder after a spill. Nor do I insist, in order to bring good luck, that the first person entering my home at the beginning of a new year (my first-foot), should be male, tall, dark and handsome - according to one set of beliefs.


That said, I don’t deliberately walk under ladders. I try not to break mirrors. And I’ve never been too happy when the 13th of the month falls on a Friday.

All that, however, is in the past. Why? Because on Friday 13th December 2013, I received an exciting early Christmas present: a contract from Tirgearr Publishing to publish my first novel What the Future Holds. This isn’t the first novel I’ve written (I’ve served my apprenticeship), but it will be my début published novel. To say I’m thrilled is an understatement!

Cards from Friends

Already, I’ve started on a learning curve, finding out how publisher and author work together in the months ahead of publication. I’m really looking forward to the journey.

Superstitious? Moi?

13 comments:

  1. I've always liked Friday 13th, Joan! As you know, I'm so delighted that you're starting on such an exciting journey. Looking forward to reading your novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you (again!), Rosemary and Myra. I'm glad the technology worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Friday 13th. It was on a Friday 13th I took the first steps (albeit unknowingly) which led me to work in Pakistan and then Afghanistan. I prefer to think of it as a day which is potentially life-changing rather than unlucky - and your publishing contract seens to corroborate that belief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And just look what's come out (in writing) of your time in Pakistan, Mary. Thanks for following.

      Delete
  4. I thought I was signed in Joan, but here I am now and full of admiration for your courage after your accident and now well deserved success. Wishing you loads of good luck and even more sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Joan, and I wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's about time too that a publishing company recognised the talents of the wonderful Joan Fleming! Fingers crossed on your great success and I'm looking for a white rabbit to claim its paw for my pocket ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hullo Joan, Good luck with all of that. But you'll soon know about that other adage. "The harder I work, the luckier I get." On the other hand, I think you know that already. Anne Stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's all very exciting, Joan - very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gwen, Chris, Sara, Anne and Jenny I've just come back from a long lunch with Rosemary and Myra to find all you lovely people waiting here for me. Thank you for all your kind words and your good wishes. It's great to have you as my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great news, Joan. Looking forward to reading your novel and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vikki. I'm really delighted.
      I'm sure it won't be long before you're in a similar position.

      Delete