At this point in January, I'm still taking pleasure in my Christmas presents. Some (chocs!) are sadly all gone. Others (a light-weight blue-tooth keyboard) have, I hope, a long life ahead.
Two gifts that have set me thinking, however, are books. From each of two writing friends, I received a charming, small hard-copy book. These have given me the tactile pleasure of handling and dipping into a printed book with its own exciting new-book smell.Like millions around the world, I have a Kindle and I do much of my reading from e-books. My own debut novel, What the Future Holds, was published last year as an e-book. Reading from an e-reader or tablet, for me, is a different experience altogether from reading a hard-copy book. No less pleasurable, but different.
I'm a firm believer that print books and e-books can co-exist peacefully - like land-line and mobile phones or letter post and email. It's wonderful to have the choice.My thinking, however, is centred on the book as a gift. How would I give someone the present of an e-book at Christmas? I believe it's possible to arrange this technologically (although I haven't tried), but what about the fancy wrapping paper? The festive string and the bows? The element of surprise?
Perhaps there are ways of sending an e-book that would replicate the pleasure of receiving a hard-copy with all its Christmas trimmings. It would lie, on-line, under a virtual Christmas tree, ready for its virtual unwrapping on Christmas day. I can't think of any way the smell of a new book could be reproduced, but who knows what fast-moving technology will offer us in the future?
I must look into this before the 2015 present-buying season begins.
Joan
I also love getting books as presents and half the fun is the anticipation as you unwrap it!
ReplyDeleteYes, Myra. And it's important not to rush the unwrapping!
DeleteI do hope proper books are able to keep their place in society. The world will be a much duller place without real books I think...
ReplyDeleteI also have a Kindle, and most of my reading these days is done on it, or through listening to audio books. However, I prefer my non-fiction as a real book, and do still read the odd paperback novel.
What I'd dearly love to see is a 'book cafe' in every town. There is something magical about sitting around with other bookworms, indulging in reading, whilst supping tea and eating cake!
A book cafe in every town would be great, Maria. We have in Milngavie, near Glasgow, a bookshop with a small cafe, which we really appreciate. Thanks for dropping in.
DeleteEnjoyed your post, Joan - and I completely agree about the pleasures of both ebooks and print. I do love a good hardback or paperback to look at and feel as well as read, and to keep on my shelves.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Rosemary. Hardbacks on the shelves are a must. Also, I sometimes buy an ebook and then buy the print copy if I want to read it again.
DeleteI was lucky enough to receive some great books for Christmas and nothing beats a book to hold in your hand! I use my kindle a lot too and find it handy on my commute to and from work. I've found I tend to buy more 'traditional' books in paperback and have become a bit more experimental in my reading tastes when it comes to downloading books on kindle - I don't know why!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Vikki. I think many people are experimenting, especially those who've had an e-reader for some time. That said, I know a number of people who've been given a Kindle for Christmas, and they're enjoying the novelty of downloading books in seconds. Especially the freebies!
ReplyDeleteYour books look lovely, Joan. I think book design has upped its game since the advent of e-books. And I agree with you that print and e can co-exist - why should we have to choose between one and the other?
ReplyDeleteI think you're right, Kate. Book design has improved, but I hadn't thought of that having a connection with e-books.
DeleteThanks for your comment.