Thursday, 14 August 2014

Iona Abbey and the Isle of Mull

Since my début novel What the Future Holds was published in July 2014, I’ve been asked by several readers why I chose the Scottish island of Mull as a setting for parts of the book. My immediate response was that I love the island, and wanted to share my enthusiasm in my story.

Once I examined how I came to present the island, I realised it was a combination of several ideas that were playing around in my mind. The picture of Iona Abbey from the Isle of Mull was the one that refused to go away. I’ve viewed it many times in all sorts of weather, by day and by night, and it never fails to leave a lasting impression.


Once I accepted that it was this image that would find its way into the novel, I did what many writers do and asked myself the question: What if? What if someone were threatening to obstruct the beautiful view of the Abbey from a cottage in Mull? And that was how Amy Wilson found herself reading a letter containing just such a threat in the opening chapter of the book.

The Abbey, Iona and the Isle of Mull ended up playing a more important role in the story than I at first intended. It was almost as if they became characters in their own right, with a life and will of their own. What started as the setting for parts of the book ended up, at times, defining the interaction of the characters.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the reviews and comments of readers where they say how much they have enjoyed learning about or identifying with my characters’ experiences on the Isle of Mull.

4 comments:

  1. It's a while since I was in Iona - I must go back. I an right with you on place - the location is absolutely vital for me, both as a writer and as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, location was so important in Thank You for the Music too.

      Delete
  2. It's many years since I was last on Iona, Joan, but I loved it being mentioned in your story - and the setting on Mull was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Rosemary. I enjoyed writing about both islands.

      Delete