Saturday, 28 June 2014

Electronic Books

Shelves in Local Public Library
As I look forward to the publication of my début novel, What the Future Holds by Joan Fleming, I've been thinking about the way the publishing world has changed over the last few years.

Words and phrases that would have needed explanation in the past roll off the tongue now: self-publishing, e-publishing, digital books, Kindle...among others. There has been much debate about the status of traditional versus e-publishing and self-publishing, with some strongly entrenched views being aired.

In spite of the opinions voiced, it now has to be recognized that these more modern methods of publication are here to stay. That was brought home to me forcefully when I went to my local public library recently. Not only does it have a list of e-books for borrowing, but the place of each e-book on the shelf is indicated by a laminated page with details of the book. In my picture (apologies for the quality, but the light was bad and I used the camera on my mobile), the pink and white 'banners' represent the e-books.

With their place on public library shelves comes status - they are being given the same treatment as hard copy - traditional - books.



My own book is being published by Tirgearr Publishing. It is an e-book, to be released on Tuesday 1st July. Whether it will be available for people to borrow from a public library remains to be seen.

6 comments:

  1. It's a great development, Joan - and just in time for your first novel! Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Rosemary. It's good to see it there. Also great timing for my own first novel. Many thanks for your good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything moves so fast,Joan, it's hard to know what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Myra. No doubt there will be more changes on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really interesting your library are giving e-books such prominence, Joan. The format has definitely opened up opportunities for writers, and as a reader I find that e-books have encouraged me to be a bit more experimental with the types of books I choose to read

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to have your response as both a reader and a writer, Vikki It can only be a move in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete