Thursday, 22 May 2014

Island Experiences



A stone struck by lightning in the
Ring of Brodgar, Orkney
I recently returned from a short ocean cruise organised by the National Trust for Scotland. In a week of sunshine and cold winds, we visited several of our Scottish islands, focusing on the Viking influence there. We even managed to land on St Kilda, an ambition unrealised by many people due to a combination of the vagaries of the weather and tides.

Lerwick, Shetland from the sea






A 'cleit' in Hirta, St Kilda







With memories of awesome scenery, fascinating history and cultural contrasts, I returned to work on the edits for my first novel What the Future Holds to be published next month by Tirgearr Publishing. Now half-way through the editing process, I have a pause when I can go through my photos and relive some of my experiences. 

I’m sure a number of these will filter into my writing at some point!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photos, Joan - must have been a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really enjoyed it, Rosemary. Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete