What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
as sweet. (William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet)
Pen
name, author name, nom de plume, pseudonym... Why would you choose to adopt a pen-name
rather than your own name for your published writing? If you’re about to publish the novel it has taken you a long time to
write, and you’re proud of what you’ve written, why use an author name?
The
most obvious answer to this question is a simple desire for privacy. Whilst
some writers crave the attention publication might bring, others shun the
limelight, preferring to remain anonymous. Or an author might have another
working life – say as an academic or a doctor or an electrician – and be reluctant to allow one
to intrude on the other.
Another reason is a change of genre. Let’s say
you’ve written five crime novels and now want to publish a romance. Your
readers might not be too happy to find your characters falling in love when
they expect them to be committing murder. Even a less radical change on your
part, like writing similar novels but with another publisher might prompt you
to find a new name.
In
my own case, as I look forward to the publication of my début novel with TirgearrPublishing, I have a decision to make. Joan Fleming was the name of a
successful British crime writer who died in 1980. She also wrote books for
children. My book falls into the category of contemporary/romantic fiction. So what should I call myself?
I
don’t have a middle name – no help there. I could use my maiden name: Joan
Moore. The trouble is that I don’t identify with that name in my today-world.
It belongs to a different chapter of my life when I didn’t write novels.
So,
since I’ve no real wish to take on a new identity or indeed to resurrect my old
one, I think I’ll simply write as who I am: Joan Fleming.

It's an interesting point, Joan - but I think you're right to keep to your own name!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the endorsement, Rosemary!
ReplyDelete