What, you
may ask, does Whisky Galore have to
do with my writing life?
You might
think I’ve taken to using large quantities of our national drink here in
Scotland to stimulate my writing muse. Or that a local distillery is producing
gallons of the amber liquid to cope with demand during our difficult winter weather.
Or even that I have been over-indulging as I toast our national bard at Burns
Suppers I attend at this time of year.
The
answer to my question is: none of these.
![]() |
| North Eriskay |
As in
other seafaring communities, the islanders rallied and went to the aid of the
crew on the sinking ship. It was only when they reached the vessel that they
realised the nature of her cargo. Having made sure the crew members were safe,
they then transported many bottles of whisky to the
island. It is said they succeeded in ‘rescuing’ 24,000 bottles on which no
duty had been paid.
The film Whisky Galore is a comedy based on
Compton Mackenzie’s 1947 novel, and tells how the islanders shared out their
booty and hid it in the most ingenious ways from the authorities, who came to Eriskay
in order to reclaim the cargo. A number of bottles of the illicit whisky have
been found over the years, and they command a high price when they are put up
for sale.
SO – what
does all this have to do with my writing? The answer is in Spirit of the Island (Magic of Mull#2), published in November 2014.
Where did the two bottles of whisky belonging to Charlie Ferguson at Lochside
Inn on the Isle of Mull really come from?
Not far
from where I live on the outskirts of Glasgow, a remake of the film is underway
in the village of Renton. Filming has taken place in various parts of Scotland and
the new version of Whisky Galore is
due to be released in 2016.
Did I
know about this when I was writing the book? No!
Joan
Joan

That's really interesting Joan! Particularly for me as a) I've read and loved the book and b) my husband has been involved in the current re-make of the film.
ReplyDeleteWhat a coincidence, Gill! Many thanks for your comment.
DeleteWhen I said 'the book' I meant your book not Compton Mackenzie's. But you did know that, didn't you?
DeleteI loved the original film, have read the book many times, and will be interested to see the new film. My hubby works in the whisky industry and I am amazed at how much some of the stuff sells for. Me? I prefer gin!
ReplyDeleteHave now got your book on my TBR pile
Thanks so much for your comment, Joanne/Raven. I hope you enjoy the book.
DeleteInteresting connection, Joan. I'm not a whisky drinker but loved the movie and am looking forward to the re-make. And what a lucky break to make mention of it in Spirit of the Island - a little movie magic can't harm sales. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Rae. It was my editor who alerted me to it (once the book was written, of course). I like the idea of movie magic!
DeleteThe film could be a useful PR link for the book, Joan. Good luck with it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your support, Bill.
DeleteThe film could be a useful PR link for the book, Joan. Good luck with it.
ReplyDeleteI remember the original Whisky Galore film, it was one of my favourites, and I did read the book, but that was a long time ago. Interesting to see the connection with your book, and as Bill said, it could be useful for PR.
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Chris. I enjoyed the film too, and I'm looking forward to the remake.
DeleteI loved the original Whisky Galore film. I saw it again recently in the Steps Theatre in Dundee Library. It was funny to see a young Gordon Jackson. I love the sound of your book and I am going to buy and read it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Wendy, and also for planning to buy and read the book. I hope you enjoy it. The remake of the film will be interesting. Eddie Izzard!
DeleteThere's a special magic about the Scottish islands. Joan, I think it comes across almost as well in Compton Mackenzie's books as it does in yours. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh Jennifer, you say the nicest things. Thanks for commenting.
DeleteI hope some of the film publicity rubs off on your book and brings lots of extra readers. I can certainly recommend it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gwen, for your comment and your encouragement. Extra readers would be great!
DeleteGreat post, Joan! Loved that film and I really enjoyed the references to it in your book!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Rosemary, and also for your support. I hope you enjoy the remake (of the film!) as well.
DeleteHi Joan, I loved all those old Scottish films and this one in particular. A really serendipitous connection. Anne Stenhouse
ReplyDeleteSerendipity is the word, Anne. I thought about using it as the title of this post. I hope the remake of the film is as good as the original.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Joan. Like others here I remember the original film and how much I enjoyed it. You and/or your publisher should definitely exploit the PR opportunities the new film presents
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting, Mary. I'll certainly try to use it for promotion. I hope you enjoy the remake of the film.
DeleteI thought i was already following but have signed up again - I think.
ReplyDeleteYes, Mary. you're already following.
DeleteJoan, I know I follow your blog, but I don't seem to get notifications (or from Chris, come to that, who I also follow). Nice post - thank you. As you say, serendipitous ... and that could be very useful! Hope your book does well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments, Jenny. There seem to be all sorts of ways of missing out on information - the internet is king! You seem to have mastered it all - I'm so impressed.
DeleteJoan,
ReplyDeleteI tried to sign up to you blog previously - apparently unsuccessfully - so I'll try again! Bill
Bill, you're already following me. Thanks for your efforts, though!
Delete