I have just managed to write 'THE END' on the first draft of the manuscript of a romantic novel I plan to send to the New Writers' Scheme (NWS) of the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA).(http://rna-uk.org/) I hasten to stress it is a first draft - I still have to apply myself to the editing. (Which may end up taking as much time as the first draft!)
The NWS is a scheme offered by the RNA to associate members who are not yet published. Members can submit one manuscript a year. They offer a critique of the novel, pointing out the flaws, but also commenting on the parts of the novel which have impressed the reader. Writers can submit the same novel again, incorporating the revisions suggested in the critique.
If a reader judges that the novel could be ready for publication, it is then passed on, through the administrator of the scheme, for a second read. Where a second reader also thinks the book is suitable for submission to a publisher, the RNA may send it directly or recommend publisher(s) that the writer should approach.
Many members of the RNA have graduated to full membership after a period in the NWS. Indeed, writers who become full members on application to the Association (having already had at least one book published) sometimes express regret that they missed out on the benefits of the NWS.
I'll try not to leave it too long before I post again, but that will depend on the editing process. I'll certainly post as soon as I hand the bulky envelope containing the manuscript into the post office and send it on its way to the administrator of the NWS.

My most valuable editing aid, the one I'd hate to be without, is New Hart's Rules. It's never let me down.
Wish me luck!
Joan
All the very best with your novel, Joan - it's only a matter of time!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your confidence in me and your encouragment, Rosemary!
ReplyDeleteThat's great Joan - best of luck with it!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Vikki. And all best with your own writing!
ReplyDeleteWell done, Joan on completing the novel ...and on getting your priorities right!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Myra. I'm looking forward to completing the editing now!
ReplyDelete